What Is Professional Teeth Whitening?
If tooth discoloration is keeping you from showing off your smile, professional teeth whitening could be the solution you’re looking for! Teeth whitening is an in-office procedure where your dentist uses high concentrations of hydrogen peroxide gel and applies it directly to your teeth. The procedure requires skill and special techniques to protect your gum tissues during the whitening process. While results vary, most patients see a significant difference with only one session.
What Are the Two Types of Tooth Discoloration?
Tooth stains are categorized into two different categories: intrinsic and extrinsic stains.
- Intrinsic stains – Discoloration caused by trauma, certain antibiotics, and aging are called intrinsic stains. These stains can be stubborn as they have already permeated the deeper layer of your teeth. Unfortunately, bleaching solutions cannot reach this far. In these cases, if whitening doesn’t achieve the desired results, Dr. Gressell can offer other solutions like bonding or porcelain veneers to cover intrinsic stains.
- Extrinsic stains – Stains that form on your teeth’s surface due to tobacco use, wear and tear, and exposure to darkly-pigmented beverages like wine, coffee, and tea are classified under extrinsic stains. Extrinsic stains are easier to remove. You can eliminate them through daily brushing and flossing, routine dental cleanings, and professional teeth whitening.
How Do You Maintain Your Results?
The effects of teeth whitening can last from a few months up to a few years. However, it varies depending on your lifestyle. To maintain the brightness of your smile, cosmetic dentists recommend the following:
- Follow-up maintenance whitening as often as needed
- Avoid dark-colored food and drinks for at least seven days after your session
- Practice good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing your teeth daily
Brighten Your Smile with Professional Teeth Whitening in Gig Harbor
You don’t have to hide your smile anymore. At Harbor Hill Dentistry and Airway Center, we can safely and efficiently brighten your teeth using cutting-edge technology. Our team has years of experience in professional teeth whitening ensuring that you get great results. Contact us today!